Wikis, Blogs & Add-Ons
Check out all of Todd's 2.0 tips here.
Lance created his presentation on a libguide. It's available here.
Some sage advice from Lance: “My digital reach exceeds my analog grasp”
Patrons are using Hennepin Libraries more and more, but not in the ways they traditionally used the library. Hennepin has seen a 41% increase in remote usage. As Christine put it, the website may be the only library patrons ever visit. Christine's talk was brimming with great ideas, including:
- Web design can be a reference tool. Ex: subject guides (find info, don't search for it).
- Use virtual reference transcripts to find out what patrons aren’t finding on their own.
- Place RSS feeds all over website, so people can choose the library experience they want.
- Hennipen has a librarian blog on each subject guide. The blogs connect staff with online patrons, and remind people that there is a human organizing this information. Hennepin puts out want ads internally to find subject guide librarians. The subject guide and blog becomes a part of their job duties. The library encourages staff to use pictures, in order to add human touch.
- Create catalog search widgets, and make the widget code available to others, so they can embed it on their pages.